Location: Morehead Street Warehouse District, Charlotte, NC
Size: 28,000 sqft
Client: Conformity Corporation
Story: The Carolina school supply company building was originally constructed in 1927 to serve as a showroom and warehousing facility. In recent years prior to its renovation, the building served as home to a discount furniture store.
The primary building entrance was re-oriented from Morehead Street to the previous loading dock area which fronts on the new parking lot. Visitors enter through a dramatic three-story space, which served as the freight elevator shaft in the original building.
The primary design objective for the new facility was to provide a safe, efficient, flexible, and modern office space, while maintaining the character and aesthetic of the original masonry and heavy timber construction. Since the adaptive re-use and transformation of this facility into professional office space, it has now become an integral component in a revitalized Morehead Street Warehouse District.